Thursday, May 15, 2008

So Jerada is where I will be spending the next two years of my life. Jerada is a medium sized city located 65km south of Oujda in the far reaches of NE Morocco. Its only a few hours from the Mediterranean and just a hop, skip, and a jump from Algeria. Unfortunately Algeria and Morocco haven’t been getting along lately and the border is currently closed. Oujda is a large city (around 1 million people) and has all the comforts that go along with a large population center. Jerada has around 50,000 people and I should be able to get most of what I need there without traveling to Oujda. Jerada seems to be a focus of the Moroccan Government for development. Recently construction includes an environmental education center, an artisana (small crafts center), and a new central plaza. Supposedly the King will be in town in June to bless all of these things. I’m pretty sure he’ll also be blessing me.

The area closely resembles the American Southwest or the high desert of Central Oregon. Pine forests abound and there is lots of beautiful places to bike/hike and explore. The Department of Forest and Environment that I will be working with actively manages a pine forest where both logging and goat herding take place. There is a problem of wildfires starting from the herders cooking fires so I may be involved in helping with fire management. There is a pretty sweet yellow Landrover fire truck.

Swearing in takes place on Monday. While I’m definitely looking forward to heading out on my own, being settled and starting work, it will also be a bit sad to say goodbye to folks. Fortunately In Jerada there are two current Peace Corps volunteers. One is a Youth Development volunteer and one is Small Business Development. They will both be great to collaborate with on future projects. Another volunteer will be placed in a town about about 20km that is famous for these cafes where the tables are set up in the river water. Supposed to be pretty good swimming. Hmmm.......may be spending a bit of time there?

Just finished up my final language test. While I’m good enough to be sworn in as a volunteer, I will be the first to admit that there’s room for improvement. The other day I thought I was asking a gentleman in my community if he would like a cookie. Instead what I really asked him was, “would you like to party?” He seemed genuinely surprised, confused, and maybe a little intrigued? Fortunately that was the day we left town. When I arrive in Jerada, I will spend the first 2 months living with a host family where I can really focus on becoming a fluent Darija speaker.

No comments: